Real Estate Investing Discussion Forums - Free Coaching: We are fam-i-ly!  Look Newbies! - Real Estate Investing Discussion Forums - Free Coaching

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We are fam-i-ly!  Look Newbies! DealMakers Cafe- A place to call Home.

#1 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• Cafe' Protege' & Motivator
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member
  • Group: Dealmakers

Posted 13 February 2002 - 07:44 PM

If you are serious about Real Estate Investing and willing to put in the effort, this site is for YOU!

After reading some posts, something hit me- then I took a moment to reflect.  Where would I be without DealMakers Cafe?  I know right where I would be and that's sitting on the fence, reading how to do it and not actually doing it.

Since I found DMC, my life has forever changed.  I was like all of the others, posting on other boards- having my questions answered by people I've never heard of before.  There was no way for me to know if their advise was any good, and no one was really pushing me to take action.

DMC is unlike any other boards out there- by far.  Just look what happens when a Newbie posts for the first time.  He/she is greeted with open arms by all of us and pushed right away to take action.  They're asked what their goals are and what they have planned.  This is not meant to bash the other boards at all, but if you posted that you were new on another board, I guarantee that you wouldn't get the same reception as you do here.

For the lurkers out there- the ones who just read the posts and never say anything.... What are you doing?  Why don't you participate, ask questions, answer questions if you know the answers to them and learn with us?  

Newbies and lurkers: This place is great.  Spend some time reading the archives and the posts, then post a quick hello and tell us about what you’re doing now.  Almost everything you need is right here.  The only other thing you need is to put in some effort and make things happen.

Speaking of making things happen....  There are so many ideas on this board of what you can do NOW to start looking for Motivated Sellers.  You don't even need to know anything about Real Estate Investing to tell you the truth!  For example, call ads in your local Newspaper.  Talk to the sellers.  Find out all of the information you can.  (For more info see the "Newbie Newspaper Call Blitz" Thread.)  Then, post all of the info on this board and we will help you through it.  Is it that easy you ask?  YES, it's that easy!  All you have to do supply us is the effort and willingness to learn and we will help!  If your SUPER Motivated and desire success then you are 1/2 way home!  :rolleyes:

TMO :flame:  :talkface:

So sing it!  We are fam-i-ly.....   :dance:  :dance:

#2 User is offline   Rommel_CA 

• PM this member
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2002 - 08:38 PM

Hello I just want to say hello to everybody.  I just signed up yesterday and from what I've been reading, this site is far better than any other site I've visited.  Best of all the information are free.  The site is well put together!  I'm glad I found this site.

#3 User is offline   Chris2 

• Associate Member
  • PM this member
  • Group: Inner Circle Partner

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:16 PM

TMO,

Well put about the family atmosphere.

The Pros are our mentors and we are the students and I for one feel like the genuine interest in each and everyone of us is genuine from the DM to all the pros and the Newbies like us that participate, share and invite comment etc.

Welcome to all Newbies and join me and TMO and Drew and Eric and everyone--get involved--participate and we will all "grow up" or get stronger together as a result.

Good Luck,

Chris

:talkface:

#4 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:17 PM

Rommel,

Welcome!  Glad to see your post.  Hopefully I get some more people out of the wood work.  Have you started reading the archives yet?  :rolleyes:

TMO

#5 User is offline   Dealmaker 

• Matt
  • PM this member
  • Group: Developer & Admin

• Level:Fence Sitter,Fulltime Investor

• Target Markets: SouthEast US & Waterfront

• Pets: Boxers: Max & Tiki

• He that lives upon hope will die fasting. - Benjamin Franklin

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:41 PM

Welcome everyone.. thanks for the comments.

The Cafe was started by true full-time investors for real NEW investors. We want it be a community where you can learn, grow and enrich your life.

We have a lot of  :rolleyes:  developments to be unvealed soon.

Again, welcome and enjoy the Cafe'!

Dealmaker :talkface:

#6 User is offline   Drew 

• Dealmaker Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

• Level:Wannabe

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:55 PM

What I like best about this place is that if you are wrong, Dealmaker will tell you you are wrong.  And if you are right, TMO will tell you you are right...  :talkface:  What's that, DM? "No fluff or powder-puff investing here....."

Man, you guys are like fam-i-ly... now you got me singin' it TMO!  :dance:

C'mon!  Lets see some more newbies come out of the lurking zone...  :rolleyes:

-d

#7 User is offline   DSW 

• Resident Intern & Cafe' Researcher
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 13 February 2002 - 10:15 PM

TMO

So right my friend, so right.

Rommel_CA - welcome to the Cafe!  Get comfy...actually get out of your comfort zone!

Where are you now and where do you want to be!?

We are here to support you and each other in this...and we have GREAT mentors who are walkin' their talk.

So, as Dealmaker asks, what will you do differently tomorrow?

Me?  I have to call some sellers and get the deed!

#8 User is offline   stardave 

• PM this member
  • Group: Guest

Posted 14 February 2002 - 07:54 AM

Hello everyone,
          I am one of lurker and newbie from NC and Fl.
It started by reading Rich Dad and Poor Dad, it open my eyes, It  gave me direction what path to take.I starting to look for course that interest me,so I bought L/O courses from Joe K and Jeff B. It feel good to get off the fence and try to get my first deal.So I am ready brother and sister.

#9 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 08:04 AM

Way to go StarDave!

Have you started reading the Archives yet?  Let us know if you have any questions and keep us up to date on the progress your making.  :alarm:

TMO

#10 User is offline   DSW 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 11:26 AM

Welcome to Cafe Stardave!

Now, did you read those courses?  
Are they for buying and selling L/O?

Most people here don't like to buy on L/O because you are just a renter who is renting and you do not have the control you have when you subject 2 or CFD.  Love to sell on L/O.

HOWEVER!  Many started with L/O ing on the buy side and later moved on to strategies that offer more CONTROL!!!

SO...Start with what you know(or have you already?)!

Go get properties NOW if you have the material under your belt...folks here can get you through with some great advice.

At the same time schedule regular time to read the archives (click on Archives at the top of the page and start with #1)
They will supercharge your approach!

Let us know your action plan and we will hold you to it!

Grab a mug and lets get to work!

#11 User is offline   daughtry 

• Associate Member
  • Pip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 03:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I too have been lurking and learning, getting into the archives and . . .

I do have some basic questions on some of the archives but thought it would be better to look some more to see if the answers are there or at least formulate my questions to be as clear as possible. :angel:

You will see more of me, asking questions at first, sharing my trials and tribulations second, and helping others after that.

Thanks for all you do for us.

#12 User is offline   Drew 

• Dealmaker Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 03:16 PM

Awesome man!   The freaks come out at night... or should I say lurkers!  Nice to meet you folks!  You took the first step... now how 'bout the next?

Stardave..... what part of NC??

-d
(Raleigh-Durham)

#13 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 03:27 PM

daughtry,

Congrats for coming out of the wood works!   :thumbs up:

I too have been lurking and learning, getting into the archives....

Feel free to post your questions when you get through the Archives.  Also, start Marketing!  :angel:

TMO :angel:

#14 User is offline   Doug ON 

• Dealmaker Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 05:11 PM

Hello!

Ok, so ya got me out in the open. TMO, your pestering is annoying :angel: but effective :flame:

I've been around for ages as DM, Lynn, and others can atest to. While some newbies might be perched on their rusty chainlinks. I've moved in to the penthouse of my stone wall!

TMO, your newspaper blitz is what got me recharged, thanks SO much for making it! :thumbs up: I was going to wait until I'd called the entire list of For Sale and For Rent ads I've got, before posting my results. But this post encouraged me to share what's going on.

I collected the list on Tuesday and stressed over it until today :nervous: when I called the first name this afternoon. It's a no deal (overpriced, has no pressing need to sell.)

But that doesn't matter! I'd just like to say to all the newbies who haven't started making those calls: Your fear is at least 100 times worse than taking action! That's how mine was anyway.

By the 3rd or 4th question, we were building good rapport, and she was only too happy to tell me everything I asked. As the conversation progressed I realized my anxiety had all but disappeared, and the script was keeping me on track and had completely put control of the conversation in my court. Toward the end it flowed so easily, I can hardly believe I wasted so much energy worrying about it!

So...I finally put one toe down on the ground and much to my surprise  :0 I survived  :angel:

Moral of the story: Start calling those ads right NOW! You'll be glad you did. And remember...it doesn't matter how the call turns out, because you win either way!

Doug

#15 User is offline   stumpy 

• Dealmaker Associate
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 08:48 PM

Doug on,

Excellent post, Good to see ya coming out and doing something. Very encouraging as to your comments on the flow of your conversation :angel:

Keep up the good work and good luck :angel:

#16 User is offline   Drew 

• Dealmaker Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:09 PM

Doug,

You said you've been around for ages... you're not THE Doug from the archives are you?
Whatever happened to that Canadian?

-d

#17 User is offline   kdrindy1 

• PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:57 PM

Hello to all!  My husband and I are just starting (decided this past weekend) and already have "Flipped Properties" read, and have been reading posts and archives on other sites (RichDad) which led us to here.  "Marcos" highly recommended it and he was right!  

It is our first night "lurking" and we are really excited to have found you all.

We already have found our "farm area" and have started our team.  We are fortunate in many ways, because I work for a real estate lawyer (who also invests) and work with a tax lawyer and we both have been involved in real estate/building for a decade, so we have a lot of contacts with realtors, investor-friendly title companys, etc.

My husband has already started practicing the phone work by calling his first FSBO and I am calling on investors this weekend. (We will share with you how it goes :satisfied: )

I just know that this will work because those I am employed by do this on a daily basis for their clients and for themselves.  I also am confident that with the guidance of those going before us here in this site, and with our field mentors and team, we will be successful at it.  The Power of Positive Association!!!

Just didn't want to be a lurker and wanted to introduce ourselves.    

Looking forward to working with all of you and sharing all of our ups and downs and learning from you.

:angel:

#18 User is offline   Cardiff-NYC 

• Associate Member
  • PipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 10:11 PM

Good Evening Everyone,

This guy, The Motivated One is doing an outstanding job.  We got to give praise where praise is due :angel:

I just want to give a shout out to all the new people to the forum one love wish you the best.

Kdrindy
Doug on
Daughtry
Rommel_Ca
Stardave

Let the motivation be with you

That was corny I'didn't like that one myself. but hey good luck anyway. :angel:
Cardiff-NYC  :flame:

#19 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 10:52 PM

DOUG ON ....  

Ok, so ya got me out in the open. TMO, your pestering is annoying  but effective

Hey, I know what works because I was on the fence before and I know what it takes to get off.  SOMEONE PUSHING YOU.  No offence, but all these lurkers out there are Humpty Dumpty and I just ran up and pushed you off of the fence!  :flame:

NEWBIES:  Look at what Doug said.  It's not that bad once you take action!  TRY IT!  Once you do try it, I'll bet you'll like it!  :flame:  Just do what Doug did and start off by calling ads in the papers.  You'll be OK.

Kdrindy1,
Welcome to the cafe!  Sounds like you and your husband are really taking action.  WAY TO GO!  Keep up posted and feel free to ask questions.

Kardiff
Awwwwe, thanks.  :angel:  Please know that I was not always the "Motivated One"......  It was all the people here at the cafe that turned me into this animal!  I had a different name for a week or two before I changed it to TMO.  It was then, the transformation took place!  :blush:

I am so happy that we are getting people to post, take action and get off of the fence.  All we ask in return is for you to help answer questions that future newbies post that you can help them out with.  What goes around comes around as they say!  :)

Keep the FIRES Burning!
TMO

#20 User is offline   Doug ON 

• Dealmaker Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 14 February 2002 - 11:16 PM

stumpy Glad to be of encouragement :flame:

Drew That's probably me (I haven't read the archives in a long time so I can't say for sure.) I am Doug from Canada though, Ontario to be precise.

kdrindy 1 Welcome, and here's to your success!

Cardiff Thank you, I'm sure we all appreciate your warm welcome and support :greenblob:

TMO ...and it didn't even hurt when you shoved me off  :flame:

I'd just like to add that over the last couple of years I've done just about every aspect of this business (short of collecting a check for my own deal  :angel: ) and I want to reiterate, as emphatically as possible :angel: what TMO has already said in one of his posts:

Cold calling ads in the paper is the hardest thing there is!

Everything else is like the proverbial walk in the park, by comparison. So if you can get over your fear of calling those ads, then you needn't worry about any other part of this business, you can do it and do it easily!

Doug

#21 User is offline   EMDAUGHTRY 

• PM this member

Posted 15 February 2002 - 06:51 AM

Hi all!  I just wanted to say that I have been lurking for a while reading all of your insights and archives.  I have learned a lot in the time that I have spent here, Thank You!

I have just recently learned about the world of real estate investing, but I have hit the ground running!  I have read 5 of the Rich Dad books in as many days.  I think that I have read more in this last week than I EVER did in high school (my teachers would be thrilled I bet).  

You might recognize my name from another person that just starting posting recently (Daughtry).  Most father and sons watch football and go fishing together, sure we did that when I was a kid, but now we plan get rich together!  I am hoping to retire before him but thats between you and me...

Thanks again for all of your posts and I look forward to my first butt-kicking from TMO!!!

:greenblob:

~Eric

#22 User is offline   kdrindy1 

• PM this member

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:24 AM

Thank you all for your kind words!  Looking forward to our mutual success!

#23 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:32 AM

EMDAUGHTRY,

I think that I have read more in this last week than I EVER did in high school

You sound just like me!  I was one of those kids that hated school and never picked up a book.  Since I found REI, I’ve picked up a ton of books and even read them!  :angel:  It's been a long road, as I am sure it has been for everyone else.  Sounds like you found "Your Calling"!  

Thanks again for all of your posts and I look forward to my first butt-kicking from TMO!!!

You asked for it!  Here you go:

1. Read the Archives.  All of them.
2. Look back on older posts on the forum and read through those.
3. START MARKETING
4. Ask us questions.
5. Do some more marketing and make some phone calls form the newspapers.  This will make you get over any fears that you may have.

It's great to see a father-son team on here!  It'll also be good because you both will be able to keep each other motivated, push each other when one stalls and pick the other up when he falls.

Stay Motivated!
Develop you Focus!
Learn as you go!
Tear down the fence!

Good luck and look forward to your posts!

TMO

#24 User is offline   Rita NH 

• Dealmaker Newbie
  • PipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:40 AM

Just want to say Hi to all the Newbies.
Lurkers ID yourself, we don't bite  :angel:
Rita

#25 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 18 February 2002 - 07:23 PM

This post was back a page and wanted to get it back up to see if we can get some more Newbies and Lurkers to come out and show themselves!  :flame:

Let's see you!!!

#26 User is offline   RavenManiac 

• PM this member

Posted 19 February 2002 - 08:51 PM

All you Newbies MUST attend the next Newbie Chat Session.  You will learn, laugh and make wonferful contacts!  They were gentle, too.

I really appreciate the great advice, especially from Dealmaker and Motivated One, and look forward to actively participating with the boards!

Thanks again and keep up the good work gang!!   :dance1:

#27 User is offline   Troy 

• PM this member

Posted 21 February 2002 - 06:46 PM

Hi. This site is awsome! I look forward to visiting often. I get the feeling that my newbie questions will get answered without me feeling stupid for asking.

Thanks!

#28 User is offline   str1kone 

• PM this member

Posted 21 February 2002 - 10:06 PM

Hello all.. I am also a newbie.  I have read lots of stuff on buying real estate, note selling, forclosures. and on and on.  I'm confused :)   My goal was to purchase my first property by the end of January.  Now my goal is to purchase my first property by the end on March.  Those are pretty short term goals. Up to this point I have felt like the  :flame:  lone ranger.  I have not yet read your archives, but that is my next stop.  I'm a motivated buyer looking for a motivated seller.  I hope that I recognize one when I see one.  Help!!!!!..

#29 User is offline   Deal Man MIT 

• Pip
  • PM this member

Posted 21 February 2002 - 10:53 PM

Welcome Troy and str1kone,
   I'm pretty new to this site too. I'v been all over the
   internet, just about and this is the one site that makes
   you feel like part of the same CREI team. Thank You
   DMC. :greenblob:  :greenblob:

DM MIT :flame:  :)

#30 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 22 February 2002 - 08:38 AM

TROY and str1kone

Welcome to DealMakers Cafe!  One of the first things you should do is Read the Archives.  There's a TON of information that will help you reach your goals!!!

Str1kone,
What are you doing now that will help you reach your goals?
Are you Marketing?  If so how?  How many people have you talked to?  Made any offers yet?  You say your a motivated buyer.....How Motivated are you?  What are you willing to do, to get a deal?

NOTE TO ALL

As you can see, DealMakers Cafe is picking up momentum.  Everyday, there's more and more posts that we HAVE to read through, because this is the best information out there!  Plus it's FREE!  For the newbies out there, TRUST ME....  This site has everything you need to start this business and become successful in this business.  The only things you need are:
Motivation
Willingness to learn
Desire to succeed
Devotion

If you come to this site with the above and apply what you learn on this site and NEVER give up things will start happening.  You have to keep yourself positive and motivated so you can get yourself through the tough times.  This business takes time to get things going and most people don't want to wait.  Be patient and work hard- You will be rewarded.

Newbies, keep posting your hello's on here!  

READ THE ARCHIVES

Ask us questions on the board!  

Again, Welcome!!!

The_Motivated_One
:blush:  :)

#31 User is offline   nahurricane 

• Pip
  • PM this member

Posted 26 February 2002 - 11:13 PM

this nahurricane im a newbie hi :p  :D  :)  ???  :dance1:

#32 User is offline   nikita 

• Cafe Development Team
  • PM this member

Posted 11 April 2002 - 03:15 PM

Came across of this statement today, thought it would be a great thing to share. Here it goes:

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not;
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not;
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the
problems of the human race.
--Calvin Coolidge

#33 User is offline   DSW 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 17 April 2002 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Nikita! :flame:

#34 User is offline   nikita 

• Cafe Development Team
  • PM this member

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:48 PM

Well, I tell you guys:) One of the best habits I developed this month is not being able to eat without reading the posts and archives. The way it works with me now: morning coffee-check out fresh posts; lunch time-read the archives; dinner read the archives and recent posts:) talk about anchoring :D food-archives :dozing:

#35 User is offline   edgel1k 

• PM this member

Posted 07 May 2002 - 12:14 AM

Hi to all of you out there. Just wanted to say thank you first of all to all the hard work that has been put into this site by the moderators, or should I call you all mentors. Anyway thanks in advance.

I am obviously new to this. Got the taste for it by listening to infomercials and radio ads. Then getting a couple of tapes. That was about a year ago. Haven't put together any deals or anything just yet.

I am looking at starting with flipping or rehabbing some properties. But really don't know what is involved, other than finding the properties and then contacting the owners. I guess that is why I haven't really done anything yet. What if they say they want to sell. What then? Now I think I may have some actual resource.

I am becoming more motivated every day, every minute to get off my butt and do something. I need money and a way to get out of my current career. Real Estate seems to be it. Also as Ron LeGrand put it on one of his tapes, (paraphrase to fit) "I need cash like I need oxygen". Acutually not a lot, just a little to give some breathing room, and then the sky is the limit.

Thanks for the board.

Cherry-O

#36 User is offline   Dealmaker 

• Matt
  • PM this member
  • Group: Developer & Admin

• Level:Fence Sitter,Fulltime Investor

• Target Markets: SouthEast US & Waterfront

• Pets: Boxers: Max & Tiki

• He that lives upon hope will die fasting. - Benjamin Franklin

Posted 07 May 2002 - 06:01 AM

Welcome Cherry-O..

The Cafe' is nothing unless all you investors and wannebes ask questions and participate. We appreciate your partcipation and we look forward to your posts!! :thumbs up:

Dealmaker  :D

#37 User is offline   prickily_pete 

• PM this member

Posted 08 May 2002 - 08:50 PM

Hi everybody!
 My name is Jack and I plan to be wheelin and dealin in UT.  For the past month I have been reading the archives  :read: I am on page 26 now, wheew! :) I would of started my advertising campaign a month ago as well, but I already had signed up for some classes and skewl doesn't end till friday.  So starting this weekend...  IT BEGINS!!
Also, I've throw my whole heart and soul into becoming a real estate investor, and I have decided if I fail, it is going to be spectacular!!   But don't count on it!  :p

Jack...   The :new: Guy!

#38 User is offline   DSW 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 10 May 2002 - 02:13 PM

Well Jack,

It is nice to see you posting!!

SOUNDS GREAT!

I look forward to seeing your planned spectacular failure fail...

:read:

How you gonna start?

What are your goals?
What is your plan?
What buying strategies will you use?

I see you mak\de yourself comfortable...so what is next for you...start a new thread!

#39 User is offline   madrymeg 

• Pip
  • PM this member

Posted 13 May 2002 - 07:30 AM

Hi Everyone

My name is Paula and I am from VA.  I found the CRE bug in late Feb.  I spent alot of time on another website in the beginning and somehow stumbled on you guys about 4 weeks ago.  I am so glad I did.  I really love this website.  I sense a real character and integrity in you guys which is a great thing.

Hoping to learn all I can from just hanging out with you.

Anyway, since late Feb., I have been devouring everything I can about CRE (my husband says I am a Type A++ personality) and have been putting all my supports together.  I am hoping to start my advertising this week.  I thought I was going to last week but I underestimated the withdrawl symptoms that I encountered after quiting smoking and caffeine at the same time.  Oh well!!

Would very much like to join your Inner Circle but I think there is someone else from my area here.  If not, just happy to hang around with you guys.

Great place to be!!!

Paula :fl1:  :fl1:

#40 User is offline   The_Motivated_One 

• PipPipPip
  • PM this member

Posted 13 May 2002 - 11:11 AM

Paula,

Many of us have stumbled around on other sites before hearing about DMC...  Now we call it home!  It's great to hear that you will be starting to advertise next week.  What are you thinking of doing?  As far as the IC, e-mail the DealMaker and see if your area is available.

Good luck and keep us posted!  :)

TMO :girl:

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic